Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Year of kilobaud 1981 Part One


In the year 1981 I had two articles published in the magazine
kilobaud MICROCOMPUTING. This was also the last year that
I would be Gary Ratliff as on October 8 of that year my wife and I finally had a son and he was named Gary. I had for years thought that all my children would be girls. However, with the arrival of my first son that idea proved false.

This is a thumbnail of the cover of the March 1981 issue. If you have eagle eyes you can read the title of the article PET Shorthand Compleat. Unlike the COMPUTE! article there seem to be no archives available of the old issues of kiloaud. The article covers a little known feature of the early Commodore PET in that if you enter the first lettter of a token and then enter the shifted second letter the word will expand in to the full token. This makes entering programs slightly faster especially for touch typists. This was really a blessing given the tiny nature of the keyboard on the original PET's.

My supply of old computer magazines had long ago been thrown out. However, I came across a set of the magazine in the stacks of the computer department of the University of Southern Mississippi. This is located on the fifth floor of the Cook Library. I soon obtained a card to allow making copies and proceeded to make copies of this article as well as the second article to be published by me which appeared in the June 1981 issue just three months later.

We will leave the details of that article for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment